Advisor with student

Placement Testing

Barton Community College placement testing determines readiness for college level coursework. Students entering college for the first time without placement scores must take the Accuplacer test. Students must have test scores on file if they are pursuing a certificate or associate’s degree or are enrolling in a general education class requiring specific test scores. Placement test scores will be used to place students in the appropriate English, Reading, or Math course.

Assessment Placement Policy & Procedures

Students should understand the high-stakes nature of these tests in determining their placement in college classes. These tests measure academic capability and should not be confused with tests measuring intelligence or ability. Testing provides both the student and the advisor an effective tool to best position the student for academic success. Through enrollment in proper courses, students are more likely to meet their academic goals. 

Barton will accept SAT, ACT, Accuplacer, ASSET, or COMPASS scores if they are less than five (5) years old. Students without placement scores will take the Accuplacer test. Students who need to complete the Accuplacer test should contact the Testing Coordinator at Individuals requiring testing accommodations due to disability should contact or call (620) 786-1102.

Placement Maxtric with Classic Accuplacer Scores 
Placement Matrix with New Generation Accuplacer Scores

BARTonline Students

BARTonline students should visit the BARTonline Placement Testing webpage for online placement testing options. 

Preparing for Accuplacer

Resources below are available to students in preparation for the Accuplacer.

Accuplacer Sample Reading and Math Problems 
Accuplacer Reading Comprehension Practice 
Accuplacer Study Guide
Practice Testing 
Math Practice Testing
Math and Language Arts Practice
ESL practice

Previous Coursework

Some college level classes may be transferred in to meet pre-requisite requirements. These classes must be college level and passed with a grade of C or higher. Determination will be made upon review of an official college transcript by the office of Enrollment Services.